Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A 30 Day Challenge

I've been sitting on this blog for a few years now, and have a backlog of drafts and ideas waiting, but I've also had this paralyzing fear that I don't really have anything all that important or new to say.  It seems like everything I want to write, I know of at least half a dozen other people who could say it better.  My writing is rambly and unpolished.  My ideas are only half baked because I don't have time to research them as fully as I'd like.  And so I just don't publish anything.

I was talking with my husband about this the other day.  (He has had a blog for years now, and adds to it every month or so.)  Mike pointed out to me that he always goes back and edits his posts (repeatedly) after they've been published.  If he thinks of a better way to word his thoughts, or realizes that a point needs clarification, then he just changes the existing post.  (Because apparently blogs can do that.)

Point the second - there's always someone who "does it better."  But that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.  And no one else can say it in my voice, in my particular corner of the world.

So, this is my attempt at getting past writer's block and actually making use of this blog: 
Each day in April, I'm going to try to publish something.  It may not will not always be polished, or profound.  I hope that some posts will be.  But we'll see what happens.  I've recently been informed that this is National Poetry Month.  Yay.  That should make things easier, right?

(No, this isn't a joke.)

2 comments:

  1. Here's your first blog comment - well done & go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've taken the challenge. I look forward to what you have to say.
    I think the rambly and unpolished might be *my* favorite kinds of posts- they are more like I think!

    ReplyDelete